All-New Mazda Biante Minivan At A Glance (Japan)
Do you like this Story?
Main features of the Mazda Biante
Development focused on attaining ‘space,’ ‘functionality’ and ‘cleanliness.’ The aim was to achieve top class comfort and an exciting experience for all of the occupants.
- The Biante has the most spacious interior in its class, with best-in-class cabin length (2,990 mm) and width (1,545 mm) as well as one of the tallest cabins (1,350 mm) in its segment. The spacious and open impression is emphasized by expansive side windows with low sills and large triangular A-pillar windows.
- By lowering the hip point of the front seats and raising the rear seats, and through use of compact saddle-type headrests for the second and third rows, the wide-open feeling is preserved even when there are many passengers.
- By sliding both the second and third rows of seats to their most rearward positions, second row passengers are afforded an impressive 863 mm of leg room. This ‘living mode’ arrangement creates an even greater sense of openness.
- The dual sliding doors have the widest aperture in the Biante’s vehicle class (according to Mazda’s assessment). Combined with one of the lowest floors available, access to the rear seats couldn’t be easier. For the first time, Mazda is offering power sliding doors with a touch sensor to prevent them from closing if anything is obstructing the opening (power sliding doors are standard on the 20S and available as a factory-installed option on other grades).
- The arrangement of the rear seats is extremely flexible. Options include ‘living mode’ for maximum leg room, ‘walkthrough mode’ for easy access to the third row seats (by splitting the second row seats and sliding them to either side), and a choice of luggage modes to match the size and shape of various cargos. For maximum convenience when rearranging the seats, levers are provided on both the front and back of the seats.
- The third row seat is a bench-type design which can be flipped up or down. This allows the cushion to be thicker and more comfortable than on a split seat. Other benefits of the full-width seat are greater rear visibility and more under-seat storage space.
- The Biante comes equipped with a nanoe*2 ion generator that neutralizes bacteria, odors and allergens such as pollen. The ions are blown from the driver’s seat air conditioner vent to deodorize the cabin air (standard on four-wheel-drive (4WD) models, available as a factory-installed option on FWD models).
- The fully automatic air conditioner features an Alleru [Allergy] Buster*3 filter to remove allergens and viruses (standard on 4WD models, available as a factory-installed option on FWD models).
- The deodorizer mounted on the cabin ceiling absorbs and neutralizes tobacco, adhesive and other unwelcome odors. It has an extended lifecyle and does not require periodic replacement (standard on 4WD models, available as a factory-installed option on FWD models).
- The Biante’s ‘Cleanable seats’ are upholstered with easy-wipe fabric to prevent stains in the event of spillages (standard on the 23S and 20S grades).
- Anti-bacterial deodorizing seat covers, anti-bacterial deodorizing and waterproof seat back baskets, and deodorizing floor mats are available as dealer-installed options.
The design was intended to be attractive at first glance and emphasize the Biante’s spaciousness and functionality under the concept, ‘space motivator.’
- The vehicle’s exterior reflects Mazda’s new ‘Nagare’ design theme. The styling hints at the vehicle’s lively driving performance, while the broad interior space is enhanced through the continuously flowing lines that connect the front, sides and rear.
- At the front, a large brand symbol adorns the top part of the grille, which stretches to each side in a broad wing-shaped chrome extension. The lower fascia features a large version of Mazda’s hallmark five-point grille, expressing athleticism and stability. On the rear, stylish vertical reflectors built into the sides of the rear bumper embellish the Biante’s sporty image.
- Sharp headlight units that flow into the large triangular A-pillar windows create a distinctive side view. The tall window glass connects seamlessly all the way along the sides and hints at the spacious interior. Biante’s rising beltline expresses dynamism, while the stretched blister fenders above the front and rear wheels suggest dynamic stability and poise.
- Large LED rear combination lights carry the sweeping side lines around the back and convey width, a low center of gravity and stability. Chrome and transparent trim emphasizes the high quality levels.
- Seven exterior colors are available, including soft ‘Lilac Silver Metallic’ and vivid ‘Chili Orange Mica’ (new and exclusive to the 23S grade).
- The broad meter cluster enhances the sense of depth and is positioned at the top of the dashboard towards its center. The design is intended to minimize the driver’s eye movement away from the road, and also enable passengers in the second and third row seats to easily see the instruments, making the ride more enjoyable for everyone.
- For seat and trim designs, customers may choose either the calm and airy light-beige or muscular and poised black. The seat designs also feature a light, flowing motif.
- The dashboard panel is black on the 20S and 20CS grades, and comes with a “hairline” finish (beige interior) or a wood grain finish (black interior) on the 23S grade.
The Biante was developed to provide driving pleasure through a combination of top class comfort, quietness and safety, and Mazda’s hallmark Zoom-Zoom performance.
- Extensive use of lightweight and rigid high-tensile steel in specific parts allows the Biante to achieve excellent body rigidity despite its large door apertures. This results in superior handling and ride quality. These weight reductions contribute to the Biante’s low fuel consumption.
- The specially developed suspension comprises MacPherson struts in the front and a multi-link arrangement in the rear. The suspension provides a comfortable and assured ride even with a fully occupied cabin.
- Electric Hydraulic Power Assisted Steering provides precise feedback to the driver, for a natural feel. The steering gear ratio is the same as general passenger cars, to maintain the kind of light handling that drivers of sedans and other smaller vehicles will have little trouble adapting to.
- All four wheels have large disc brakes. The brakes respond reassuringly and linearly to movement of the brake pedal and provide precise braking even at highway speeds.
- Two engines are available. The MZR 2.0L DISI (direct injection spark ignition) engine provides an excellent balance of high torque, environmental performance and fuel economy, while the MZR 2.3L engine offers superb acceleration.
- The FWD models come with an electronically-controlled five-speed automatic transmission. Wide gear ratios improve low-speed acceleration and the higher fifth gear ratio assures better fuel economy when cruising. On models with the 2.3-liter engine, the transmission also features a manual mode for sportier performance. (4WD models are equipped with a four-speed automatic transmission.)
- The Biante offers excellent stability in crosswinds. This was achieved by optimizing the shape of the D-pillars and other areas to enhance the upper body aerodynamics, and careful design of the underbody aero parts. Mazda Biante has achieved a class-leading drag coefficient (Cd value) of 0.30.
- The highly rigid body, anti-vibration and sound damping materials, improved suspension oscillation characteristics, and an optimized tire structure effectively suppress road noise. The Biante also boasts one of the lowest levels of wind noise in its class due to the optimized shape of the door mirrors and A-pillars, clever use of cowling, and enhanced door rigidity.
Environmental and safety features
The Mazda Biante is meant to be enjoyed with family and friends, and comes equipped with various people- and eco-friendly features.
- Mazda’s Advanced Impact-energy Distribution and Absorption System consists of crumple zones to absorb impact energy and a triple-H body structure to preserve cabin integrity in the event of a collision. The system was developed to withstand impacts from various directions, including head-on collisions, side collisions and rear offset collisions at up to 80 kilometers per hour.
- Safety equipment to minimize injury to occupants in the event of a collision includes a crushable brake pedal, Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) airbags and anti-whiplash front seats. To minimize injury to pedestrians, the bonnet area features an energy absorbing structure.
- All model grades qualify as Super Ultra-Low Emission Vehicles (SU-LEV), achieving exhaust emissions that are at least 75 percent lower than Japan’s 2005 regulations. Additionally, FWD models with the 2.0-liter engine meet Japan’s 2010 fuel economy standards plus 20 percent, making them eligible for Japan’s Green Tax exemptions.
- Highly recyclable polypropylene is used for both bumpers, the instrument panel and trim. The recyclability ratio for the entire vehicle is over ninety percent.*6
*6 Calculated based on the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association’s Guidelines on the Definition and Calculation of Recyclability Ratios in New Models (1999).